Saturday, December 10, 2011

It's Your 3:30am Wake Up Call!

I am not sure who told my daughter that playtime is at 3:30am, but I can't say that at first I was super duper excited about it. Boy have my feelings changed. For the past few weeks, my little night owl, has been just that, a night owl. She doesn't want to go to sleep until 10:30 at night and she wakes up, occasionally, around 3:30am. I think she is wondering what we are up to and hates to be in her crib by herself. "Is the circus in town? Did Santa come yet? Are they eating shortbread cookies? What's goin' on here?"

When she wakes up, she has got to be the sweetest, most cheerful baby around. She cackles and giggles and laughs, louder and louder until finally I have to go in and see what all the fun is about. "Hey darlin." When she hears my voice, she snaps her head around and bam. There it is... The sweetest most wonderful smile known to mankind. I melt. Instantly. This never gets old folks. I would trade a million blissful, well rested nights for one more night like this. Once I drag my tired self into her room, I never want our time to end. But I know she needs her rest, as do I. So after about an hour of play and a little bit of "udder-time", as we call it, I sadly place her back in her "nest" for a few more hours of thumb-sucking sleep (yes we already have a thumb sucker).

I hate to think that someday soon, these nights of sweet, cheerful play will end. And she will once again sleep through the night and be ready to do more grown-up things than to play with mommy. I sometimes find myself tearing up when I feed her, so innocent, so peaceful, so content. (whew, actually crying now) She depends on her daddy and I for her every need these days, and we feel so honored and needed and loved. Just the grasp of her tiny hand around our finger sends us over the moon. It's the touch you never knew you needed, but now you never want it to end.


My heart is so full. I have never known a love like this before. I believe it's the closest thing to the love our heavenly Father has for us. And for this glimpse into his perfect and endless love, I am forever greatful, forever changed and forever in awe. Your daddy and I love you with all of our hearts, sweet baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment